How come your Hot Room doesn’t stink like other studios in town?
Our Hot Room was designed by a mechanical engineer for proper air flow and ventilation. In fact our entire facility is infused with clean fresh air, through our fresh air system; that uses UV lights to kill odors, viruses and bacteria.
How long are the classes?
We are Arizona’s “Original” 60 minute yoga studio with heated and non-heated classes . We also offer 45 minute Iron Yasa and 45 minute HOTFIIT classes.
Is there anyone who should not do Hot Yoga?
If you have high blood pressure, particularly low blood pressure, are pregnant or nursing, or you have any diagnosed health condition you should check with your Physician before stepping into our heated room. We also have a beautiful non-heated room with a full schedule of classes.
If you simply do not like the heat, you might find that your body learns to like it after a few classes!
Is this a cardio workout and can I lose weight?
Yes! Regardless of your fitness level, hot yoga can be challenging. Muscles are toned and strengthened. All of the body’s systems are brought into balance.
With consistent and dedicated practice you will lose pounds and inches.
What if I’m not flexible?
It’s important to understand that Yoga is not about flexibility. This misconception keeps many people from coming to a Yoga class.
Yoga is about stretching your spine and body in all directions. From the very first class you will learn the concept of trying the right way enabling you to receive the benefits of each pose according to your own ability.
Why is the hot room hot?
- The heat makes muscles more elastic and pliable which allows for deeper safer stretching.
- The heat helps you sweat; sweat detoxifies your body by flushing, toxins from your blood and metabolic waste from your muscles.
- The heat enhances blood flow so that more blood (and oxygen) is delivered to the the muscles, the joints, and the endocrine, thyroid and lymphatic systems bringing natural healing and balance back into your body.
- The heat speeds the breakdown of glucose and fatty acids.
- The heat thins the blood, increasing the heart rate for an excellent cardiovascular workout.
- And it feels really good to just let the sweat pour out of you!
Can Children practice in the hot room?
We love kids at HYU and want to make sure they are safe, that’s why we ask that in order to practice in the heated room your child is at least 13 years old, or able to sweat.
Children handle high temperatures differently than adults. They have a higher surface-area-to-mass ratio, which means they absorb heat more than adults do. They also have a smaller blood volume, which makes it harder for them to dissipate the heat. Lastly, they have a slower rate of sweat production than adults, and sweating is a mechanism to cool us off. Children are not mini adults and really should not be treated as like they are. Safety first.
Can I drink water during class?
Yes! Drink plenty of water before coming to class and feel free to drink water any time during class. It is recommended that we drink half our body weight in ounces of water each day. Drink at least 6-8 eight-oz glasses of water per day (1.5-2 Liters). When doing Hot Yoga you should almost double this amount (12-16 eight-oz glasses or 3-4 Liters) because you can lose up to a 1.5 Liters of water while sweating in Hot Yoga.
Can I eat before class?
It is GENERALLY recommended not to eat anything for at least 2 hours before class. However, if you have a condition like diabetes you should consult your Physician prior to class so you can decide what’s appropriate for you.
How many calories does Hot Yoga burn?
You have the potential to burn up to 800 calories, depending on a number of factors, such as your weight, whether you are male or female and how hard you participate.
What is a clean air studio?
At HYU your health is our priority. Ultraviolet Air Purifier Systems with purer air means keeping germs, microorganisms and odors under control. Our dual ultraviolet light air purifier with added super oxygenated air to safely kills microorganisms in the yoga room, bathroom and lobby area, while destroying odors. The Xtra Fresh Air Purifier utilizes Ultra-Violet Light in the germicidal C band (UV-C) and Super Oxygenated Air (O3). The Xtra Fresh Air Germicidal System helps with control or elimination of air borne problems such as: Cold/Flu Airborne Viruses, Mold Spores & Mildew Fungi, Airborne Bacteria, Allergens and Odors. These airborne substances contribute to or cause: Allergy Attacks, Asthma Attacks, Respiratory Conditions, Spread of Viral Infections, Migraines, Plus More.
What is the temperature in the Hot room
Hot Yoga is typically performed at a temperature of about 108 degrees with 30% humidity. The increased temperature in the room allows an increase in stretching and flexibility and helps to prevent injury. At HYU we offer the perfect balance of heat, humidity and clean air with our state of the art purification system. The temperature may vary due to class size and outside weather.
What are the benefits of your yoga classes?
All of our unique class styles can help to improve flexibility, suppleness and strength. And can also help with the ability to release stress and to increase relaxation. It is also a great way to lose weight and tone up.
The benefits you receive from a regular, devoted yoga practice will vary depending on who you are, your health history, what you put into your practice, and what you may be struggling with physically or mentally.
The most frequently reporting benefits include the following:
- Escalation in energy and metabolism
- Weight loss and increase in muscle tone
- Increase in balance, strength and flexibility
- Reduction in heart and respiratory rates
- Decrease in blood pressure
- Improved functioning of the internal organs
- Reduction of insomnia and depression
- Strengthening of the immune system
- Alleviation of symptoms of chronic disease and energy
- Reduction in stress; less reactive in stressful situations
- Rejuvenated sense of calm and well being
- An inspired positive outlook on life
As with anything, the amount of effort and focus you put into something is directly proportionate to the results you will achieve. Try your best. Your postures do not have to be perfect in order to do yoga. It’s called yoga practice for a reason. All we can ask ourselves is to try the right way with our best effort. The benefits will follow.
How can I expect to feel after my first Hot Yoga class?
You might feel very tired after class. This is absolutely normal and a good sign that your body is cleansing. Your energy levels should be restored to normal within several classes.
You might find yourself feeling extremely energetic and experience difficulty sleeping. Don’t worry this is a good sign that the yoga is truly filling you up with energy. You don’t have insomnia. You just have more time to do the things you enjoy.
- You might feel sore or stiff the day after your first class. Come back to class as soon as possible! Your body is waking up and coming alive and you want to keep the process going!
- You might feel nauseous, dizzy or have a headache after class. This could be a sign that you are dehydrated. Please drink lots of water before returning to class. Or it could be a sign that you were trying so hard that you weren’t breathing normally. Please breathe normally during every posture.
- You might experience some skin irritation. This too is normal, it means that the skin is releasing toxins. Showering directly after class will wash the toxins away. It will also help normalize the body temperature.
- You might feel very hungry after class for a while, or you might lose your appetite completely. Both reactions are normal. If you are concerned about your weight, don’t worry too much either way. Once you get into a regular practice pattern, your appetite and your weight will normalize. You’ll find yourself feeling and looking leaner and younger.
What should I bring on my first day?
Bring a towel, yoga mat, and water. We have mats and towels available for rent and water for sale and we also have a filtered water drinking fountain with bottle filler.
Do I need to bring anything to my Yoga Nidra class?
Bring a yoga mat, eye pillow and for comfort you may bring a small pillow for your head and a bolster for under your knees.